2020 Westgate Cup
The Westgate Cup is a match play competition played between the Melbourne and Geelong clubs. It’s not quite an annual competition but we would like it to be. It was first played in 2013 and then Darren Stace-Smith brought it back in 2018. Jeff Brunsting and Tarron Anderson are TDing this year’s event. The team Captains are Darren Stace-Smith for Melbourne and Tim Bohan for Geelong.
More information including the rules and format are below:
If you are not familiar with match play it is a head to head (or doubles) competition to win the individual holes in order to win the round and match. You must be the clear winner of the hole to get a point. Any draws result in 0 points being awarded. They do not push to the next hole. The person who wins the most holes in a round wins a certain amount of points for their team. The more holes you win by the more points will be awarded. The team with the most points at the end of the day wins the tournament and the bragging rights (and probably some trinkets) that go with it. It’s a very exciting form of competing that can move very quickly. Often times the holes and the rounds are not played to completion if one competitor is the clear winner without the other even holing out or if it is mathematically impossible for a competitor to win the round. Get out and support your favourite team and watch this fantastic format.
Still want to play but you were not selected for the team? Check out the WGC Individual Comp.
If you have any questions or would like to sponsor a prize please let Allen or Jeff know.
Spectators are welcome and encouraged to come along and cheer on the Melbourne team. You will see some of Victoria’s best disc golfers in action.
29th Feb, 2020
- 8:00 am -
- course setup and open for practice. (Any OBs marked)
- 8:30 am - 9:00am
- Player check-in
- 9:00 am -
- Players meeting
- 9:15 am -
- Disc Flip to determine the Home Team
- The home team captain chooses whether they want to do the team matchups in the morning or afternoon.
- 9:20 am -
- Team matchups completed by the captain.
- TD will announce the matchups and starting holes for the individual competition
- 9:45 am -
- Morning round starts
- 12 noon - 1:00 pm
- Great food will be available for purchase (for the fund raiser) or players are welcome to bring their own or hit the shops.
- 1:00 pm -
- Players Meeting
- Short players meeting to announce the standings, matchups and starting holes.
- 1:30 pm -
- Star of afternoon round
- 4:00 pm -
- September League Day
- 8:00 am - 3:30 pm